The Iowa Department of Education, the Iowa DNR, AEAs, and other regional institutions are hosting three regional science trainings for teachers, coaches, administrators, preservice teachers and informal educators. These events will be held in-person to help facilitate teacher networking and the delivery of a consistent message to science educators across the state. To accommodate travel and substitute issues, the regional trainings will be held on three different dates from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Programs for each venue:
- University of Iowa (September 25, 2023)
- Iowa State University (October 3, 2023
- Buena Vista University (October 19, 2023)
- Teachers and coaches will find first hand experiences with what it feels like in a classroom that centers around active student sensemaking of phenomena with loads of ideas and materials that can be used instantly in their classroom. There will be strands for elementary, middle school, and high school.
- Administrators will find insight into what to look for in a science classroom that is teaching the Iowa Science Standards. This time can also be utilized to network with prospective teachers as they begin to look for jobs in the field.
- Preservice teachers will find themselves working side by side with veteran professionals, gaining experience and perspectives that are hard to come by in the college classrooms. There will also be dozens of prospective employers that would love to network with future teachers.
- Informal educators and naturalists will gain insight into what it means to instruct using natural phenomena, which could be used to align and enhance their programs as well as connect their efforts with school district goals.