- Assessment & Data
- Challenging Behavior
- English Learners/Title III
- Gifted & Talented
- Social, Emotional, Behavioral Health
- Iowa Core
- Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports
- Postsecondary Readiness - Future Ready
- School Improvement
- Social Studies
- Technology Innovation
Home Teaching and Learning Mathematics Intervention Resources Fifth Grade Spring Progress Monitoring and Instructional Strategies 5.NF.5
Spring Progress Monitoring and Instructional Strategies 5.NF.5
Interpret multiplication as scaling (resizing), by: (5.NF.5)
- Comparing the size of a product to the size of one factor on the basis of the size of the other factor, without performing the indicated multiplication.
- Explaining why multiplying a given number by a fraction greater than 1 results in a product greater than the given number (recognizing multiplication by whole numbers greater than 1 as a familiar case); explaining why multiplying a given number by a fraction less than 1 results in a product smaller than the given number; and relating the principle of fraction equivalence a/b = (n×a)/(n×b) to the effect of multiplying a/b by 1.