ASCD conference focuses on collaborative leadership
Want to learn more about collaborative leadership and how Iowa schools are leading the way? Join the 2018 Iowa ASCD Curriculum Academy on April 19 & 20. Details about the event are listed below and you can click here to register for the event.
DAY 1 (APRIL 19):
Peter DeWitt will provide a day-long presentation/workshop on "Collaborative Leadership: 6 Influences That Matter Most." Dr. Dewitt is a former K-5 teacher and principal. He is known for his workshops and keynotes nationally and internationally focusing on collaborative leadership, fostering inclusive school climates, and connected learning. Additionally, Peter is a Visible Learning Trainer for John Hattie and an Instructional Coaching Trainer for Jim Knight.
Whether we are teacher leaders, instructional coaches or building and district leaders there needs to be a focus on student, as well as, adult learning and impact. "Collaborative Leadership: 6 Influences That Matter Most" focuses on how leaders can use 6 of John Hattie's high effect influences on learning to foster growth in their teachers and put the focus on learning for students.
The participants will . . .
- Understand the importance of, and research behind, collaboration as a school leader
- Learn why within school variance between teachers may be an issue to focus on because it is much wider than the variance between schools (PISA)
- Learn how collective teacher efficacy is a way to minimize within school variance among teachers
- Learn how/when to use tools such as the flipped model to build collaboration
- Learn how there are at least 6 influences to increase your success as a collaborative leader
- Walk out with numerous practical actions to use in their classroom or school regardless of whether they are a teacher, school, district or division leader.
DAY 2 (APRIL 20):
Andrea Stewart will present "Connecting CBE and Personalized Learning Utilizing the Collaborative Leadership Framework."
Following her presentation, several Iowa schools will share "Stories from the Fields of Iowa" focusing on collaborative leadership. Presentations include the following:
- 10:45 - 11:30
- The Impact of Data Teams and Collaborative Leadership - Benton and Center Point Urbana Community Schools
- Miller Middle School's Journey to Personalized Learning- Marshall Community Schools
- Maximizing Teacher Leadership to Ensure Learning for All - Cedar Falls Community Schools
- Beginning a Blended Journey: How to Support Teachers with Blended Learning implementation - Cedar Rapids Community School
- A New Blend of Professional Learning - College Community Schools
- 11:30 - 12:15 Lunch
- 12:30 - 1:15
- I Am a Teacher Leader . . . Now How Do I Lead? Guided Reflection about Leadership Styles and the Unique Role of a Teacher Leader - Norwalk Community Schools
- A Map for Your Journey towards Personalized, Competency-Based Education - Van Meter Community Schools
- Path to Personalized Learning - College Community Schools
- What Colleges and Employers Are Looking for in Graduates: Working with Students from Standards-Based, Competency-Based, and Personalized Environments - Drake University
- Spencer High School Extended Career Experiences - Spencer Schools
- The Parnership Approach to Coaching New Teachers - Benton Community Schools and Grant Wood AEA 10
- 1:30 - 2:15
- Iowa BIG North: Changing Education in Rural Iowa - Charles City and New Hampton Community Schools
- Competency-Based Pathways for High School English Students: One Teacher's Perspective - Muscatine Schools
- Facilitating Learning: Empower Others - Pleasant Valley Community Schools
- Partnering to Develop Coherent Leadership Systems - Grant Wood AEA 10
- Students Using Feedback to Foster Growth Mindset - North School Community Schools
Site of Conference: FFA Enrichment Center, 1055 SW Prairie Trail Parkway in Ankeny
Parking: On site and free!
Lodging (if needed): Courtyard by Marriott, 2405 SE Creekview Drive, Ankeny, IA 50021 Rate: $119 night + tax as long as you register before March 28 and indicate you are participating in the Iowa ASCD Curriculum Leadership Academy 2018.
Gone Green! Be sure to bring your digital devices as we have gone green! All handouts will be available electronically.
Food: A continental breakfast and lunch will be served each day. Be sure to let Jo Prusha (email@example.com) know of any special dietary needs.