Iowa Central accepting applications for externships
What is an externship?
An externship is an unique professional development opportunity for educators to connect the workplace to the classroom. It provides an opportunity for educators to spend time in a business/industry to learn through hands-on experience about practices related to their subject in order to improve and strengthen their teaching by bringing relevance to student learning.
The purpose of an externship is for educators to learn how classroom content and learning strategies apply in the workplace by engaging in daily activities of a local business and/or industry. Educators are able to build the bridge between knowledge and skill-based education by being updated about current workplace practices, requirements, and employability skills that meet current industry standards. The experience will be able to bring relevance to student learning by being able to tie real-world application to their lessons.
- Provide a fresh perspective about today’s workplace and the skills students need to succeed.
- Increase ability to explain the value of what students are learning and why it is relevant.
- Provides an experience to learn new technology and first-hand knowledge of what businesses need and expect of its future workforce.
- Ability to help students learn employability and adaptability skills in order to be prepared for the workforce.
- Connect basic academic skills to employability skills by constructive conversation with business and industry.
- Opportunity to have any questions answered by a business professional and aid in the design of a lesson plan.