Mentoring and Induction
Journey to Excellence: A Program of Mentoring and Induction
Journey to Excellence is designed to prepare and support mentors as they assist beginning educators with their transition from the college/university to classroom practices. This program for 1st and 2nd year mentors and beginning educators and all districts are welcome to participate.
Highlights of Prairie Lakes AEA’s Journey to Excellence program:
• Meets all requirements of the student achievement and educator quality legislation
• Trains mentors for their role as a growth agent to support and guide beginning educators
• Focuses on the Iowa Teaching Standards and Criteria through meaningful learning projects
• Provides an orientation session for beginning educators and their mentors
• Provides six (6) days of professional development to be held over two years for the mentor; four (4¬¬) days the first year and two (2) days the second year
• Supplies mentors with a set of materials and skills designed to effectively structure conversations about teaching practices with the beginning educator
• Was developed by a task force jointly convened by the Iowa Department of Education, the Iowa State Education Association, and representatives from Area Education Agencies and school districts across the state
Click here for the 2015-16 schedule and other details.
Application for an extension of an Initial License:
Visit the DE website for more Mentoring and Induction for Beginning Educators information. Scroll down and click on the technical assistance document entitled, Technical Assistance for Mentoring & Induction Program, which provides guidance to both AEAs and LEAs.
Induction & Mentoring Support Team
Linda Linn, Leadership & Learning Consultant
Kathy Brenny, Leadership & Learning Consultant
Carole Klein, Secretary